Friday, December 4, 2009

PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE Master Pan B/G


Tonight I had an epiphany.

I was going through Holiday B/G art, and I stopped to look at PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE. It's my absolute favorite Christmas cartoon, and one of my all-time favorite Disney shorts. I distinctly remember the first time I saw it... I was awestruck at how the inside of the tree perfectly captured the magic of Christmas in a distinctly Disney way - with the ornaments, Christmas lights and sparkling tinsel amidst the evergreen branches... dazzling. Disney background artist Thelma Wittmer outdid herself here. Spectacular!

Well, some thirty years later, tonight, as I'm looking at the pieces, I notice something I'd never seen before... it seems like I might have bookend artwork for each side. Sure enough, I was able to piece together the entire master pan B/G!!!

By the way, in case you're curious, here are the pieces used in different camera setups, roughly sized and placed together sequentially. You can see how they overlap.

Here are the dazzling segments. Be sure an click on them to see the festive detail!



Together, again... for the very first time. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

9 comments:

Amelyn said...

Oh my... This post bring back so many memories. Memories about some VHS tapes. ;-)

Unknown said...

I do so love this short. I have it on, like, six different DVDs. I love to share it with my kids. Thanks for the post!

Amanda H. said...

Oh wow, I forgot all about this cartoon! It was a Chip and Dale cartoon, right?
The background is so beautifully painted (is all of it painted because some areas look like they could've been made with those watercolor pastels) it brings out the jewel tones and bright colors of the ornaments and the evergreen boughs.
BTW, is it okay if I follow your blog? :)

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

What a terrific site!!!! Many thanks for putting this up!

Anistock Stock Footage said...

great, cool and a happy feeling, lovely post

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that movie. So many memories. Thanks for sharing!

Enthusiasm Quotes said...

Very Nice And Interesting Post, thank you for sharing
Anuj Somany
Excellence Quotes 24 - Gym Quotes
Success Quotes - Decent Images
Future Quotes - Anuj Somany
اقوال وحكم قصيرة - حكمة اليوم - اقوال وحكم جميلة

Susan said...

Thanks for posting this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people. Using the un-official subreddit for Pikdo- Share your posts, ask questions and get feedback on your account. Come join our great page.

شركة النجوم said...

تنسيق حدائق
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالطائف
شركة تنظيف فلل بالطائف
تنسيق الحدائق المنزلية من الامور الممتعة وهي غالبا تتطلب فقط تنظيم وترتيب الفضاء بحيث تستغل كل فراغ في الحديقة وتمزج بين الالوان للحصول على منظر جميل من النباتات